Friday, March 21, 2008

Books and Verse























My two favorite poets are Billy Collins and Leonard Cohen.  Billy Collins was the poet laureate from 2001-2003.  His work is non-traditional, not following poetic conventions.  Some people say that his work is "accessible", a term he dislikes, saying it suggests metaphorical ramps for "poetically handicapped people".  Whatever the reason, his words move and amaze me.  No one else I have ever read can put a complex experience, all five senses in play, with all the accompanying emotions into a few short words that, taken individually, you would never associate with the subject matter of the poem.   I just gave "Nine Horses" to my Daughter's class for their in-class library.  I would highly recommend his books even if you have never gotten anything out of poetry before.

No comments: